Friday, July 14, 2006

Mystery of the Cemetery (Augsburg, Germany, l970((in English and Spanish))

Mystery of the Cemetery
(Augsburg, Germany, 1970: dedicated to Sarah)

—Our mouths met, in a long, loving kiss. It was sunrise—, the time I figured she’d tell me about the mystery of why she walked through the Cemetery all the time. Her name was Sarah McCarthy, or so she said her name was.

She had taken the dirt path into the old cemetery to meet me, we walked through the cemetery leaving the footpath behind us, walking now on the tall grass, it was quieter she said.

“I love you very much Ted!” the statement came quickly to my ears, filling me with joy:

“I love you, my husband! Always think of me!”

—I rested well, this night. I had gone to bed early after Sarah left for her house and me to my apartment. I got up at daybreak and after my morning push-ups, and coffee, rode off on my bicycle, back to the cemetery to meet Sarah. There like always I left my bicycle, behind one of the big Jewish monuments by the brook that went through the graveyard; without more ado, I looked about for her. It was quite early and I could spot not the caretaker, or watchers of the cemetery anyplace, or at least they were no place visible. As I did so, with apprehension, I saw Sarah coming from the other end of the cemetery. She was walking, without avail. Down the path she continued in a state of dishevelment, or so it seemed. As I looked over and about the tall grass, it was quite evident—something, had passed here before hand, before my arrival.

In spite of my concern, I was overjoyed to see Sarah coming closer, I got the feeling there was a trap in progress though. Call it intuition, or momentary second sight, but I got the chills for some reason or another.

As she neared, minute by minute I found my affection growing; we had only been married for a week or so, and known one another a month, or less. I saw her clap her hands with delight at seeing me smile as she was now about three-hundred feet away.

In the mist of her walking, thus she stopped. A dim light shadow came upon her face—paleness, dread; and her brows went up. While she was standing, a fear grew upon me, lest being so far away and yet so close, might her enemies be nearby. She saw my distress, with a slow movement of her right hand—, quick like a woman’s wit, she signaled me to stay put, not to move. I heard her say:

“Don’t be freighted for me, dear.” (I was in the military, in Augsburg, Germany, a Buck Sergeant, living off base, on the German economy. She was a German Jew, and “I’d find out later, a spy; gathering bits and pieces of information, seemingly not much, but blueprints of worthless items to see if she could get away with it; kind of a priming I think for bigger things for the future). She then said, as three men seemed to come out of nowhere, backs to me; she had evidently seen them:

“These are men I need to talk to! They don’t wish to get hold of you, but want to only to talk to me for five-minutes”—lacking due respect for whomever they were, I started to leap forward with a stretched out leg, but stopped, and did as she wished. I would learn they were some kind of Secret Agents. (I would never find out from what government: American, German or Russian.)

—That morning my heart beat heavily, as I saw the backs of these three men walking with Sarah across the tall grass of the cemetery towards a side entrance. I began to follow, but she insisted I do not, as she turned about a few times to see if I was following. Thus, I stopped for a moment, but started back up again. Their path lead up to a car parked along side the cemetery waiting, and that was the last time I saw her, and the beginning of a long investigation.

Notes: The author was in Augsburg, Germany in 1970; at a time when many things were happening along the East German boarders and throughout West Germany. It was not uncommon for spies to be drinking beer with the GI’s at the American Hotel in Augsburg (from all three countries mentined in the story); at the hotel, the bar was in the basement, and across the street was a military compound; where the 1/36 Artillery was stationed. Even the press snooped about trying to find out who was who at times, at that bar. That is all I can say. 7/29/05

In Spanish

Misterio del Cementerio
(Augsburg, Alemania, 1970: dedicado para Sarah)

Translated by Nancy Peñaloza

-Nuestras bocas se encontraron, en un largo beso amoroso. Esto era al amanecer-, el tiempo que yo creí que ella me diría sobre el misterio de por qué ella anduvo por el cementerio todo el tiempo. Su nombre era Sarah McCarthy, o así fue como ella dijo llamarse.

Ella había tomado el camino no asfaltado dentro del viejo cementerio para encontrarme, nosotros anduvimos a través del cementerio dejando el sendero detrás de nosotros, caminando ahora sobre el alto follaje, estaba mas tranquilo, ella dijo:

“Te amo mucho Eduardo” la declaración vino rápidamente a mis oídos, sintiéndome contento: “Te amo mi esposo. ¡Piensa siempre en mi!”

He descansado bien, esta noche. Me había acostado temprano después de que Sarah. Fue a su casa y yo a mi apartamento, me levanté al amanecer y después de mis empujes de mañana y el café, monté sobre mi bicicleta, de regreso al cementerio para encontrar a Sarah, allí como siempre dejé mi bicicleta, detrás de uno de los grandes monumentos Judíos por el arroyo que iba a través del campo santo; sin mas alharaca , la busque. Era bastante temprano y yo no podía descubrir al vigilante o los cuidadores del cementerio por ningún lugar o al menos ellos no estaban en ningún lugar visible, Como hice así, con aprehensión, vi a Sarah viniendo desde el otro lado del Cementerio, ella estaba caminando, bajo el camino ella continuó en un estado de desconcierto, o así parecía, entonces yo busque arriba y abajo del alto follaje, era casi evidente- algo, había estado pasando ahí antes, antes de mi llegada.

A pesar de mi preocupación, me llené de alegría al ver a Sarah viniendo mas cerca, y sentí que había una trampa en curso. Llámele intuición, o una segunda vista momentánea, pero eso sentí por alguna razón.

Mientras ella se acercó, minuto a minuto yo encontré mi afecto creciendo; nosotros solo habíamos estado casados durante una semana o algo, y conocido el uno al otro un mes o menos. Yo vi palmear sus manos con deleite viéndome sonreír mientras ella estaba ahora casi a 300 pies lejos.

En la bruma de su caminata, más ella se paró. Una sombra débil de luz suave vino sobre la palidez de su cara, temor; y su frente se elevó. Mientras ella estaba parada, un miedo creció sobre mí, no sea que siendo tan lejano y todavía tan cerca, podía ser que sus enemigos estén muy cercanos. Ella vio mi angustia, con un movimiento lento de su mano derecha-, rápidamente como el ingenio de una mujer, me señalo para quedarme quieto sin moverme. La oí decir:

“No estés asustado por mi querido”. (Yo estaba en la milicia, en Augsburg, Alemania, un Sargento raso, viviendo fuera de la base, en la economía alemana. Ella era una judía alemana , y yo averiguaría mas tarde, una espía; agarrado mordidas y piezas de información, aparentemente no mucho, pero los cianóticos de artículos sin valor para ver si ella podía escaparse con eso; una clase de primicias creo yo, para cosas mas grandes para el futuro). Luego ella dijo, como tres hombres parecían venir de algún lado, detrás de mí; ella claramente los había visto:

“estos son los hombres con los que yo necesito hablar” ellos no desean apresarte a ti, pero solo quieren hablarme por cinco minutos” careciendo del respeto previsto para quienes ellos eran, comencé a saltar con una pierna estirada, pero parado, y se hizo como ella deseó. Yo aprendería que ellos eran una clase de agentes secretos (yo nunca encontraría de que gobierno: americano, alemán ó ruso).

Esa mañana mi corazón golpeo pesadamente, como yo vi las espaldas de esos tres hombres caminando con Sarah a través del alto follaje del cementerio hacia una entrada lateral. Yo comencé a seguirlos, pero ella insistió que no, mientras ella volteaba unas pocas veces para ver si yo estaba siguiéndolos. Más, yo me paré por un momento, pero emprendí el viaje de regreso nuevamente. Ella caminó hacia un carro aparcado a lo largo de cementerio esperándolos y esa fue la última vez que la vi. Y el comienzo de una larga investigación.

Nota: El autor estuvo en Augsburg, Alemania en 1970; en un tiempo cuando muchas cosas estuvieron pasando a lo largo de Alemania Oriental. No era raro para los espías estar bebiendo cerveza con los de la GI en el hotel americano en Augsburg (de los tres países mencionados en la historia); en el hotel, el bar estaba en el sótano, y a través de la calle estaba el campo militar; donde la artillería 1/36 estaba estacionada. Aun la prensa husmeo tratando de averiguar quien era quien de vez en cuando en aquella barra, eso es todo lo que puedo decir.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home