Saturday, July 22, 2006

Overview Of Supernatural Elements In Story Telling

By Dennis L. Siluk
Dec. 23, 2004

First of all this is my opinion, I do not claim to be an expert in this area, but I like reading into it, and I’ve written some within it. Thus, it only qualifies me to bring to the reader my perspective on the short story, if not novel of the supernatural; possible what I like, and see, and look for. Although I’d like to think it goes beyond this, but it may not. Recently I wrote a short story for a friend of mine, for his magazine on the supernatural. And I have ventured into this area with sometimes too little and too much lust. H.P. Lovecraft, Clark A. Smith, Mr. Howard, Edgar Rice Burroughs, all men of supernatural writing skills, crafts, art, and of course unending imaginations, and we can add for the heck of it, Mr. Wells, and Victor Hugo, Poe, and how about Julius Verne. They are all good. But when we read this genre, are we reading suggestive or exhaustive literature? It is better than asking, are we attempting to deal with useful science. One of the ingredients seems to be mental laws hidden beneath tones of stone, and out pops ghosts, abnormal states of mind, immensely supernatural bodies. As we go on through this article, the non-interested [whom found him/herself reading this for some odd reason] must ask: ‘what is the interest for the writer and the reader.’ Is this not so? And so we shall see. For some it is simply human delight, if not human nature to look for the inevitable, or what one thinks is possible. It is agreeable to be scared; craving for it like one does a cigarette or alcohol, love or gambling. The mind has these abilities to absorb such barriers so we cross them [how do I know, I was a counselor for17-years, and a recovering alcoholic for 22]; things are much simpler than what we make them, you know; makeshift fear with its expectancy of pain or its mastery of demoralization. Take your pick.

Some stories are powerful enough to instill nightmares, while others are so exaggerated it leaves one only time to ridicule. But there is always middle ground. For it isn’t always that supernatural fiction builds on fear alone, or even fear; nor does the writer want to produce fear per se, but rather, but rather abnormal states of mind. It can be forthcoming and alluring. Some of this literature is used often by the writer for satire if not allegory. So we created demons and fairies, ghosts, spirits, and aliens with innumerable alliances. And for me, I always end up taking a long voyage into its engulfing waters, be it poetic, prose or the stage.

------------

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home